Saturday, November 13, 2010

Super Service Saturday!

My Relief Society (church group for women) decided to do a service Saturday this year instead of doing crafts and such for Super Saturday. I must say, it was a great idea and such a hit! We signed up to bring things like: rice, fabric, items for auction, gently used winter items to donate, or to do something like: sew rice bags, tie quilts, cut fabric, serve food, collect the donated items and deliver them, and so on. I signed up to sew the rice bags and donated fabric for them as well.
We also had a service auction. Okay, this was such an awesome idea. You bid with points and you earn these points through various things like: if you have taken a dinner to a family within the last month, taken treats to a friend, visit taught, served a mission ever, told members of your family that you love them, donated items to the auction of the service activity, volunteered at a school or soup kitchen and so on. You could bid on the items with the points you earned. The items were donated by anyone who wanted to get the points. There were free haircuts, afghans, blankets, home-made goods and canned items, promises of dinners, gift certificates, home decor, and tons of other stuff. It was so fun! I had 600 points to bid with and used them all to get a beautiful afghan for Seth.
So if anyone is on an activities committee or relief society, young women/men presidency you might want to try this...it was really a huge and fun success!
The beautiful Afghan. I outbid seven others for it. Actually, it came down to me and another girl, and she finally said I could have it because I had Seth with me. She said to consider it as a late baby shower gift...what a sweet heart. I wouldn't bid on anything else because I wanted the afghan so darn bad and wanted all my points to get it.

Seth loves it! See that smile, I think he's pleased. I sure am!

No comments: