Monday, March 2, 2009

Deceptively Delicious?

So my sister Rachel has this cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld, "Deceptively Delicious." The book has great ideas for incorporating nutritious food, namely veggies, into goodies such as brownies. Not a bad idea! So I decided to take a look through the book one day as I was babysitting, the kids actually love to pour over cookbooks and stare at the yummy pictures and declare whether they want to try it or not--I can't tell you how many times they ask me to get the "kid cookbook" down so they can salivate over the yummy treats (by-the-way, the "kid cookbook is a a cookbook that has lots of ideas for serving fun treats and dinners for children--you know what I mean right Rach?) Anyway, I totally digressed. Well, as I was looking through the Deceptively Delicious cookbook, I found a recipe I thought looked good. Now, take a look at this picture and you tell me how good it looks to you? (this is the picture I took when I cooked it)
Not so tempting looking is it? So this is called tofu chicken nuggets. The idea sounded great to me and the picture in the cookbook looks nothing like it (I think that is were the real deception comes in)! Needless to say they did not taste as good as I had hoped. Thank you to a sweet husband who so willingly tries the crazy things I sometimes come up with and eats them without complaining!
This incident, I think, will be as famous in this family as the zucchini pie incident we experienced in my family as children! (Ya, it was THAT bad!)

8 comments:

Lin said...

Well, I have to say that the tofu "chicken" nuggets do NOT look appetizing at all! And, I am sure that it had nothing to do with your cooking!!! All I can say is, thanks for trying them so that I did not have to!

The Horton Family said...

Ba ha! So i totally know what you mean about the kid's cook book. When I get a cookbook down I have to go super fast and be tricky about it, or I get stuck having to pull out that cookbook and looking thorugh it AGAIN with the kids - but they love it, and it is funny.

And ya, there are some recipies in that healthy cookbook that Chris has made me take a solomn oath never to cook - and that was one of them. :) We have a "Bill Nye The Science Guy" about gravity, and Bill is throwing stuff off the roof of a building to prove how gravity works. Anyway, one of the things Bill throws off is tofu - and Chris says he has never seen a better use for tofu. :) Funny stuff... :)

The Horton Family said...

Oh, and stinkin' dang cute picture of Gracie on the side bar. love it!

Wendy Hegerhorst said...

Every family has to have one of those failed recipes. Ask my kids about the yucky casserole I made up and tried to make them eat. They will never let me live it down. I tell them to just be thankful that it was a rare occurance and not the norm.

Sue said...

Jo Jo, you crack me up. I didn't think your picture looked that bad. haha But what I really thought was cool, was the 6 month old picture of Gracie. She is growing up right before our very eyes!

The Super Meyer 5 said...

Those look disgusting, Derrick is a very brave man. I think its great that you entertain the kids with cookbooks. Love the new picture of Gracie, I think she is starting to look more like you, Jo.

sambrael said...

Your hubby is braver than my dad when my parents were first married. Mom wanted to make a kidney pie (it sounded so romantic in all those English novels!), and Dad came home and immediately asked, "Who's been boiling a diaper?" Then he took her out to a nice restaurant. :) I won't even start with all the stories James and I have about dinners gone awry!

Unknown said...

Sam has tried to get me to eat tofu a couple different times because he learned to love it on his mission in japan...I still haven't joined the club, and don't plan to any time soon!